A Brief History
Yocumtown Church of God was founded in 1871, in the small village of Yocumtown, Pennsylvania, commonly known as Etters today. At that time, a small meeting house, then called the Yocumtown Union Church, was home to YCOG. The meeting house, established in 1825, was shared by three other denominations and an independent church, all seeking a place of worship in the vicinity. Among the first to preach here was Rev. John Winebrenner, who founded the Church of God in 1830, and for whom the Winebrenner Theological Seminary was named.
In the summer of 1871 the new church charter states:
“There being a considerable number of moral and religious persons in the village of Yocumtown and vicinity…again felt the need for a larger and suitable building in which to worship almighty God, and of holding Sabbath school.”
And so a new and larger church was built on the same site, funded by “contributions from members of different denominations and other persons not professors of religion…intended for the use of all evangelical denominations who may desire to worship the living God therein.”
At around this time, $8.50 was collected from members of the Union Sunday School to purchase a pulpit bible. This bible had to be replaced in 1881 because Abe Coble, a local blacksmith, brought his dog to prayer meeting on Wednesday night; the dog fell asleep and was locked in the church until Sunday morning. During his imprisonment, the dog destroyed part of the bible. On the inside of the back cover this inscription is written…
“This bible has been finished and polished by one of the extra dogs that the City of Yocumtown contains.” May 10, 1881.
Yocumtown Church of God continued to worship in the Union Church until 1991, when the membership followed God’s leading and built a new church at 160 Red Mill Road, Etters, PA, located in Northern York County less than one mile from the old church we called home for 120 years. In 2011 the church body once again stepped out in faith and added a 10,000 sq. ft. Faith Life Center, featuring a full size basketball court, large kitchen, and a raised platform stage. This beautiful addition is home to Vacation Bible School, church socials, Youth Group functions, musical and theatrical productions, community events and much more.